Following are the most frequently asked questions. If you do not find the answer to your question, do not hesitate to contact us.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1Where can I buy your products?
Our products are distributed in more than 125 dealers in Quebec, Ontario and across the Maritimes. Please review the page Where to buy? to find the nearest dealer.
- 2Can I visit your showroom?
You can visit our showroom located at 1041 bld Lionel-Boulet in Varennes. It is recommended to make an appointment before planning your visit.
- 3What are your showroom opening hours?
We are open Monday to Thursday from 8am to 4:30pm and Friday from 8am to 3pm.
- 4Where are your products manufactured?
Royal Stones’ products are proudly manufactured in our plant in Varennes, Canada.
- 5Can I buy Royal Stones’ products directly at your plant?
Our products are exclusively available through our authorized dealer network. Only products with small defects can be purchased at our plant. Review the page Where to buy? to find the nearest dealer.
- 6I’m a general contractor, an architect or designer currently working on a flagship project and I’m looking to use your products. Can I get a discounted price?
Contact your distributor and share all relevant details about your project. We are constantly looking for exciting projects to help us promote our products.
Here is a list of Frequently asked questions from customers with regards to installation. For more details, please see our installation guides and videos.
- 1Do you install your products?
Royal Stone does not offer installation services. However, we will be pleased to recommend you a certified masonry contractor.
- 2Can I install the product myself?
Yes, if you are comfortable working with masonry tools. Anyone can install our products by following the installation instructions available on the Installation page.
- 3What waste ratio should I consider when calculating the quantities required for my project?
A waste ratio of about 5% should be added to the net total surface to be covered in order to avoid running out of products during your installation.
- 4What type of surface is required before proceeding with the installation?
First, the surface must be solid. Then, depending on the type of installation (indoors or outdoors) refer to the installation guide on the Installation page of our website.
- 5Is it mandatory to use a metal lath for laying your stones?
To comply with the National Building Code and CSA A371, it is mandatory to use a metal lath for the installation of thin stone veneer to prevent cracking and increase the structural capacity of the installation.
- 6Do I have to install a metal latch if my thin stone veneer is installed on cement boards?
To comply with the Canadian standard CSA A371-04 entitled “Masonry of Buildings”, a galvanized metal lath must be installed on any load-bearing structure other than a masonry product or concrete. Since a cement board is not a masonry product nor concrete, a metal lath must be installed over the cement board.
- 7Can your stones be cut?
Of course. Use a diamond saw blade or a concrete blade. However, note that the color will differ where the stone is cut. The aggregate will be visible but mortar may be used to cover the area that was cut.
- 8Should I start the installation with corners or flats?
We must always start the installation with the corners and then install the flats.
- 9Is there a maximum height that can be installed daily?
There is no maximum daily height to respect with the installation of our stones since each of them is self-supporting.
- 10Which adhesive mortar is recommended for exterior use?
The Mason Bond 400.
- 11How many square feet does a Mason Bond bag cover?
A Mason Bond bag covers approximately 30 square feet.
- 12Should your stones be coated with a sealant?
A sealant is not necessary. However, if you prefer to use a sealant, contact us to see whether the sealant is recommended for the type of installation desired. However, it is advisable to use a sealant on flat products such as wall caps and column caps.
- 13Can your stones be used on the ground?
No, our stones are for use on wall surfaces only.
- 14Can your stones be used to build water fountains and swimming pools?
Royal Stones’ products are not recommended to be used under a water line, in a pool or in a water fountain. Given the large quantity of water and humidity, our product may deteriorate and discolor. We recommend the use of natural stone for these applications. However, normal exposure to water such as rain or snow will not alter the integrity or color of our product. It is designed for this type of installation and complies with masonry product standards.
- 1What should I do if I get broken pieces in my box?
Although it is unusual to find broken pieces in a box, the broken pieces can be used for cuts.
- 2Damaged/wrong color stones were installed. What can I do?
Installing a stone up on a wall means the product is accepted by the customer/installer. Please contact your distributor or our customer service and we will be happy to assist you.
- 3Is it normal to have a color variation between the sample board and the actual stones delivered?
Our stones are made using natural materials so there might be a slight color variation between the sample board and the stones received. If the color seems significantly different from the sample board, you can contact your distributor or our customer service.
- 4How do I clean the stones?
Use water and a mild detergent. The use of a pressure washer, metal brush, acid cleaning agent, bleach, paint solvent or any other cement cleaner is not recommended.
- 1What is the average thickness of your stones?
One to two inches depending on the model and its texture.
- 2What is the weight of the stones?
The weight of the stones varies from 8 to 11 pounds per square foot.
- 3Do your products maintain their color?
The main component used in coloring our products is iron-oxide. Iron-oxide has the same aging properties as natural stone.